By politics.co.uk staff
Metropolitan police officers are seeking to establish whether another investigation into the death of Princess Diana is necessary, following fresh allegations she was murdered by the British military.
The Met has confirmed it is carrying out a "scoping" exercise into the new claims, which reportedly emerged during the trial of SAS sniper Danny Nightingale.
Conspiracy theorists have long been dissatisfied with the verdict of the inquest, who concluded drunk chauffeur Henri Paul's grossly negligent driving - and that of the pursuing paparazzi - was responsible for Diana's death on August 31st 1997.
"We are scoping information in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility," a Met spokesperson said.
"The assessment will be carried out by officers from the specialist crime and operations command. This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget."
The December 2006 report into Operation Paget, the original police probe into conspiracy allegations that Diana was murdered.
Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry are avoiding commenting on the issue but a spokesperson for Mohamed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi also died in the crash, said he hoped the Met would investigate the new allegations "with vigour".
The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported the allegation came in a letter from the parents-in-law of the ex-housemate of Sergeant Nightingale, the ex-sniper who was convicted of keeping a pistol and 338 bullets in his bedroom.
He had claimed the ex-housemate who had told his wife Princess Diana's death had been "arranged" and then "covered up".