The AHRC is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, along with the other UK Research Councils. The AHRC is governed by its Council, which is responsible for its overall strategic direction, and we are incorporated by Royal Charter.
The AHRC’s vision is to:
- fund excellent research projects not fully supported from other sources, including those of field-defining or transformative potential and deploying interdisciplinary and thematic approaches
- take an overview of research in the arts and humanities in order to support new areas and important but vulnerable disciplines
- provide opportunities for outstanding researchers at key stages of their careers to develop intellectual leadership in their own disciplines and beyond
- support postgraduate research to ensure that capability across the disciplines is maintained and the best possible training is provided
- enable the exchange of knowledge to deliver civic, cultural and economic benefits
- on behalf of the UK, develop international opportunities to further arts and humanities research